Saturday, November 6, 2010

Starting ...

I am starting to play with Centos 5.5 again this month.

Starting from 1 NOV 2010,
I downloaded CentOS-5.5-x86_64-netinstall.iso
then created a bootable USB drive, using Universal USB Installer

It cannot see iso files on FAT32 partition : (
so I have to chose HTTP install, from this server.

I selected these packages: Desktop+Server+Virtualisation
It took about 30 minutes.

I did not read *carefully* when it asked to install grub (boot loader).
So it was installed to the USB drive.
The result is that I can boot to Centos if the USB drive is plugged in.
: (

root (hd0,1)
setup (hd0)
quit

But it does not work.

Finally I have to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst
I am not sure but I think just change
hd1 to hd0 in the file.

# NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
# all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
# root (hd1,8)
# kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
# initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/sdb
default=2
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,8)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title CentOS (2.6.18-194.17.4.el5xen)
root (hd0,8)
kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5
module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
rhgb quiet
module /initrd-2.6.18-194.17.4.el5xen.img
title CentOS (2.6.18-194.el5xen)
root (hd0,8)
kernel /xen.gz-2.6.18-194.el5
module /vmlinuz-2.6.18-194.el5xen ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb
quiet
module /initrd-2.6.18-194.el5xen.img
title Other
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1


I do not know why, but I have to activate the network card on the first couple of times that it booted.
I can get http server to work, but not Python CGI.

Then I tried installing mercurial.
cannot use: yum install mercurial

The first time was older version - 1.3.1-3.el5

then a newer one - 1.6.4

not sure if this site is safe :)


After messing it a little bit, I found that there is a configuration management software
can use: yum install puppet
But I do not think I have a time to learn and use it.


So I found etckeeper which can use mercurial for its vcs.

edit /etc/etckeeper/etckeeper.conf
HG_COMMIT_OPTIONS=" -u etckeeper@a.com"

cd /etc
sudo etckeeper init
sudo etckeeper commit "Initial import"

NOTE: The information here may not be accurate.
That is why I just re-installed yesterday.

Please continue on the next post